This chapter covers the following objectives:
- Why the management of knowledge professionals and knowledge itself are so critical in today’s organizations.
- The importance of recognizing the interdependence of attracting, developing and retaining human capital.
- The key role of social capital in leveraging human capital within and across the firm.
- The importance of social networks in knowledge management and in promoting career success.
- The vital role of technology in leveraging knowledge and human capital.
- Why “electronic” or “virtual” teams are critical in combining and leveraging knowledge in organizations and how they can be made more effective.
- The challenge of protecting intellectual property and the importance of a firm’s dynamic capabilities.